Comfortable Wisdom Teeth Removal
Services in Cary, Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Apex, and Morrisville, NC
Wisdom teeth often need to be removed to prevent all sorts of dental problems. Also known as third molars, wisdom teeth tend to cause pain and discomfort when they come in improperly or become impacted. Read on to learn more about wisdom teeth, the removal process, and the healing process. Please feel free to contact our office with any questions or concerns you may have.
Why might I need to have my wisdom teeth removed?
Wisdom teeth are probably the most commonly troublesome teeth. They often need to be removed for a variety reasons, including some serious issues that can affect your overall oral health. Wisdom teeth may need to be removed in the instance of:
- Impaction. Impacted wisdom teeth are third molars that are unable to come through the gums properly because of a lack of space. These teeth become stuck under the gums and often cause serious pain and may become infected. Many dental offices are not able to treat impacted wisdom teeth, but the team at Sunrise Dental can help you get the care you need.
- Crowding. In the case of inadequate available space, wisdom teeth may be able to come through the gums entirely, but they may cause crowding of the rest of your teeth. To prevent orthodontic issues, we will remove the wisdom teeth.
- Other damage to the jaw, gums, and surrounding teeth. It’s true that wisdom teeth sometimes just come in funny. If we see any abnormality that is causing damage, pain, or other discomfort, we can remove the wisdom teeth to ease these ailments.
If you have any of these issues with your wisdom teeth, it is best that they be removed. We can remove them gently and with little to no discomfort. If you think you may be having issues with your wisdom teeth, please contact our office immediately.
What is the removal process like?
The tooth extraction process can vary greatly depending on your specific circumstance and the exact problem with your wisdom teeth. If the tooth has come in somewhat correctly and can be extracted in one piece, we use an elevator to loosen the tooth before removing it from the mouth.
For more complicated cases, we may need to use different surgical methods to remove the tooth from your mouth. We use a local anesthetic to make sure the area is completely numb before completing any type of tooth extraction. In addition, we can also offer two types of dental sedation: nitrous oxide and oral medication. To learn more about our sedation options, please visit our page on relieving dental anxiety
What kind of modern technology is used for extractions?
For complicated cases, we can use our cone beam CT scanner to view a 3D image of the tooth and the connecting nerves and tissues. This allows us to more accurately diagnose the problem and plan the extraction. We also use a specialized tool for the removal process. Rest assured knowing that the team at Sunrise Dental will use only the best tools available to complete your procedure.
What can I do after an wisdom teeth extraction to ensure proper healing?
To ensure proper healing of the extraction sites, please follow your dentist’s instructions to the letter. There are also some things you should avoid while the site is healing. Please avoid:
- using a straw
- touching the area with your finger or tongue
- brushing your teeth vigorously
- increasing the amount of stress to the area in any way
Please use a cold compress, warm salt water, and Tylenol (if recommended by the doctor) to manage any discomfort you may have. Be sure to ask questions and follow the directions of your dentist to give yourself the best chance of proper healing.
How can I schedule an appointment?
If you think you may need to have a wisdom teeth removed, please contact our office to schedule an appointment. We will be happy to help you get the care you need to alleviate pain and avoid dental problems. Find our phone numbers for each location here
. You can also send us a message via our online form
. Get the care you need at Sunrise Dental.