Genetics and Your Oral HealthDecember 8, 2014
Can Poor Dental Habits Cause Other Health Problems?January 16, 2015
Ever wondered where the practice of brushing twice a day originated, how many men and women actually brush their teeth, or how about how much toothpaste you use in a lifetime? We’ve put together a list of fun, humorous dental facts we hope you find both helpful and entertaining. Enjoy reading and sharing! Let us know your favorite facts by sharing them on Facebook
Wisdom For Your Teeth
Did You Know…
- Foods that make us smile the most: chocolate, coffee, fries, Sunday dinner–My vote is for chocolat! (the French pronunciation sounds yummier!)
- 61% of us have been attracted to someone by their smile alone—Were you smitten by a smile?
- One in four say electronic toothbrushes are only for lazy people–I’m all about efficiency!
- 28.7% of women brush their teeth after every meal–C’mon ladies, we can do better than that!
- 20.5% of men brush their teeth after every meal—Guys, you’re even worse!
- 2/3 of us have less respect for a boss with bad oral hygiene-Well, that’s awkward..
- 18.5% of Americans do not floss at all—Hmm..are these the bosses, I wonder?
- The average person produces a quart of saliva per day—that’s 10,000 gallons of spit in a lifetime! Yuck!
- There are 100 million microorganisms living and thriving in your mouth on a daily basis— That’s a petri dish living in your mouth for Pete’s sake–please brush your teeth!
- If you brush your teeth two times per day, every day for the rest of your life,
you will use 20 gallons of toothpaste! And you will avoid gum disease, cavities, and probably bad breath too!
- If you floss one time per day, every day for the rest of your life, you will use about five miles of floss. That’s a LOT of floss!
- Just like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different. It is the only muscle in the body that isn’t attached to something at both ends. Check out our blog about what your tongue color says about your health.
- $3 is the going rate for a tooth—Pay up Tooth Fairy!
- Most Americans did not brush their teeth twice daily until after WWII. The soldiers were required to brush twice daily for optimal dental health and they brought this awesome habit home to America!
- More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones — Wonder why?
- 90% of systemic diseases have oral health originations—Yes, there is a link from poor oral health to serious diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.Take care of those teeth! Here are some best practices from Elmo on brushing your teeth!
- Some of the things we pick our teeth with are: earrings, business cards, match sticks, and keys—Didn’t your mother tell you not to put sharp objects in your mouth–that’s our job! 🙂
We hope you enjoyed the lighter side of dentistry today! Is it time to schedule your regular check-up
? Do you need to whiten those teeth
? Do you think you could benefit from cosmetic dentistry
but aren’t sure what you might need? Whatever your dental needs may be, don’t hesitate, call today.
We can’t wait to serve you!
Raleigh Dentist: 919-878-0055
Durham Dentist: 919-493-3355
Chapel Hill Dentist: 919-929-3996